Welcome to St. Benedict Day Nursery and Children's Home Inc., a unique Institution dedicated to providing care for underprivileged children of the Island of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, in the West Indies.
Originally opened on July 25th 1963, with a Day Nursery and an Infant Hospital, on February 13th 1968.
A new Home was built on a site in close proximity of this old establishment. It was blessed on December 28th 2011 and the children were transferred in February of 2012. On October 29th, 2020, a building on the compound of St. Benedict Day Nursery and Children's Home, managed as Bread of Life Home by a Corpus Christi Carmelite, was handed over to St. Benedict Day Nursery and Children's Home to be used as part of St. Benedict Day Nursery and Children's Home. The Institution is now referred to as St. Benedict Day Nursery and Children's Home - Unit 1, for female residents and Unit 2, for male residents.
The Institution has provided fifty-eight (58) years of service with the use of the old structures and has already served over ten (10) years of service with the new structure - December 28th 2011-December 2021.
Throughout our years of service you will discover remarkable and courageous children who have been cared for by a dedicated staff guided by the Corpus Christi Carmelites (Sisters), who are always striving to help the children reach their maximum potential and giving them options in life where there would otherwise be none.
We would also like to invite you to visit St. Vincent and the Grenadines to meet the children in this Home and see firsthand, the tremendous work the Sisters are doing.
St. Benedict Day Nursery and Children's Home functions on the generous financial support of people like you for its daily operations:
- In areas such as: education, medical, social activities, payment of salaries and utilities.
- General maintenance of the Home
Over the years, we have managed to put certain building structures in place to enhance the care of our children.
Such upgrades are as follows:
- A laundry and outdoor dryer area
- A resource center - with accommodation for meetings and retreats, camping, short stay - a few days. Proceeds from the use of this facility is one of our 'self-help' project to assist with the generation of funds for the management of the Institution.
- A bike and athlete track - the children enjoy the use of an equipped play park - equipment and a gazebo.
- The lives of our children have been enriched with the use of the following:
- Classroom for toddlers and preschoolers - preparation for the entry into the primary school, and for older children who attend primary and school for children with special needs with extra curriculum activities such as homework.
- A furnished computer room - for the use of the children.
We now operate two (2) buildings. The female residents are housed in one building - Unit 1 and the male residents are housed in the other building - Unit 2.
At present, (2021), we care for ten (10) girls and seven (7) boys. (This number has fluctuated between 17-22 residents during the years 2020 - 2021).
Thanks to kind overseas donor funding agencies who have assisted us along the way with some of the projects completed.
We will be thankful for your continued kind donations to assist us to upkeep the Institution with its daily expenses and other areas of development for the care and improvement of the lives of our children.
God's abundant blessings await you.